For the last week and a half I've been playing with a new toy that's making scrapbooking tons of fun... the My Memories Software Suite.
The folks over at My Memories sent me a free version of the software to try out and I've been loving it, plus they've given me the OK to pass along my good fortune to one of my readers who will also receive a free copy of the software, as well as a promotional code STMMMS51174 for $10 off the cost of the software for anyone who wants to check it out.
Before I start telling you about all the fun I've been having with it let me tell you what My Memories is.
From the My Memories website:
"My Memories Suite version 2 software is a complete digital scrapbooking solution that provides a powerful set of creative tools and multiple sharing options that no other software can offer. Its intuitive workspace and enhanced time-saving features are perfect for a beginner to build an entire album in minutes, or to empower the design pro to build a scrapbook album masterpiece."
To be completely honest with all of you I haven't been a traditional paper and glue scrapbooker for long, in fact I only completed my first scrapbook in May while I was away at a scrapbooking retreat, but I've already noticed that there are a few negatives to traditional scrapbooking that the My Memories Software completely eliminates.
1. Sharing. Traditional paper scrapbooks can't be shared digitally (at least not well), but a digital scrapbook made with the My Memories software can be shared with friends and family around the world and it looks AMAZING! Plus I can add music and videos right into the pages to make them interactive, something definitely not available with traditional scrapbooks.
2. Sizing, Printing, Cutting. With a traditional scrapbook you have to size photos, print them, and cut them down, but with the My Memories Software you can add photos, crop them, edit them, and change your mind and switch them out all in one easy step.
3. Reusable. With traditional scrapbooking you have to be worried about running out of supplies, but with the My Memories Software you can reuse papers and embellishments as many times as you want.
4. Ease of shopping. With the My Memories Software if you realize that there's an element you need for your project you can easily pull up the My Memories website and find whatever you are looking for and download it right to your computer for a fraction of the price you would spend on traditional supplies, plus there's no need for a trip to the store.
5. No Mess! Since everything is digital there's no pile of scraps to pick up, and it's super easy to resume a project where you left off, there's no need to haul a huge pile of supplies out of the closet every time you want to work on it, in fact there's no need to store supplies at all!
Okay, enough of the perks of the My Memories Software over traditional scrapbooking. Let's get to the nitty gritty of using the software. Downloading the My Memories Software from the website was a breeze, and unlike other software out there it's available for both PCs and Macs. And your computer doesn't need to be a super fast top-of-the-line computer, I downloaded my software onto my old PC and it runs beautifully. In addition to the software I also purchased several templates and papers from the site, including "Stamp Cluster", "Celebrate", "Magic Fall Papers", "So Boy Papers", and "Live, Laugh, Love", and downloading them into the software took only a few clicks, and when I opened up the software everything I purchased was right there for me to use.
The actual interface of the software is straightforward and easy to use, with a very minimal learning curve. With the features included in the software it's easy to build your own project or use one of their designer templates, and they even have an auto-fill option where you select the images and they plug them into the template for you. For the calendar I made and included in my post yesterday I used their calendar grid templates and added embellishments and word art to make it special. In addition to the calendar, I used the software to make my new blog header, and to scrapbook a few pages for my friend Sarah's wedding, which I'll be featuring in an upcoming post.
Now onto the negatives. Not everything about any particular software can be perfect, and I'd be pretty biased if I pretended that it was. Some features that I think could enhance the My Memories software include a merge feature. It would be nice to be able to merge layers while working on a project to make it so that there isn't a need to move all the layers when you decide to move an element from the top of the page to the bottom. Another feature that would be nice is if you could change the color of the embellishments, or at least the text elements. As it is the only things you can do to change the elements is change the size, the opacity, and rotate it. The final critique I have of the software is that it would be nice if they bundled the downloads. Currently when you download your embellishments you purchase from the website you download each individually, but when you purchase 10 or so at one time downloading each individually can take time. It would be nice if the website bundled your purchase so that only one download was needed.
Okay, now onto the good stuff... the giveaway! My Memories has offered to give a free copy of the software to one of my blog readers, and has offered a special promo code for $10 off the cost of the software for the rest of the readers. To be entered into the giveaway please visit the My Memories Website and tell me what scrapbooking or embellishment kit you'd like to start scrapbooking with, and what kind of project you'd make. For a second entry follow my blog, or tell me if you're already a follower, and for a third entry blog, facebook, or twitter about this giveaway and let me know that you did, and please leave every entry as a separate comment on this post.
The giveaway will be open until 11:59 PM Pacific Standard time on Sunday the 18th. I'll draw the winner on Monday morning and send the winner their code for their copy of the My Memories Suite software. If you can't wait and want to get a copy of the software for yourself right away then you can purchase it at www.MyMemories.com and enter the code STMMMS51174 to get $10 off the purchase price of $39.97.
So that's it! I hope while you're over at the My Memories website you take your time and look around a bit, they have quite a large amount of cool stuff over there.