Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reconnecting With My Roots: Garment Sewing

Over the years that I've been blogging I've posted mainly about quilting and sewing small projects, but I rarely ever post about garment sewing, which is funny, because that's what I started out doing!

Yes, like many of you my first projects on a sewing machine were all clothing.  I actually sewed garments pretty exclusively until I discovered quilting 5 years ago, and it's all been downhill from there.

Well recently I looked in my closet and I decided it was time to sew up a few things for myself.

First up was the Ruby Top by Made-By-Rae.  I already had her Washi Dress pattern (see the post here) and I love it so I figured it was time to give Ruby a try.

Ruby Top #1
I started off making a dress but since I'm pretty top heavy it just didn't look right.  I need things that accentuate my curves a little bit more.  But I love it as a top.  I love it so much that I made two more and I have two more in the plans.

Ruby Top #2
Ruby Top #3 (This time in KNIT!)
And since I was on a roll (and since I had just purchased Parcel #1 from Perfect Pattern Parcel) I decided to try my hand at an Ava top.

Sleeve or No Sleeve?
 I had a hard time deciding whether to put the sleeve on it or not, so I solicited the advise of my Instagram friends and everyone said to go with no sleeve, so that's what I did!

Me!
I actually love it sleeveless.  Perfect for sunny California days (which is everyday, people.  Sorry to rub it in your faces)

And because I was feeling confident, I pulled out a WIP from last year's Selfish Sewing Week and I grit my teeth and finished it.


That's right, the Miz Mozelle dress I blogged about in September is finally finished.  I had to carefully pull the collar off and make a new one that laid correctly.  And let me tell you, taking the collar off was no easy feat.  I accidentally ripped a giant hole in the dress, but I was able to cut the neckline just a little bit lower and make the collar just a little bit wider and it all worked out.

It might actually be better, because I can ::just:: manage to maneuver the neckline so I'm able to nurse while wearing this dress.  I wore this one to church this past Sunday and it was so comfortable.  Win!

And guess what?! Selfish Sewing Week is just around the corner and I have some pretty big plans.  So mark your calendars and plan to set aside time to sew something for yourself April 28-May 3
Oh, and while you're doing all that selfish sewing, sew yourself a top as well and join Rae in her Spring Top Sewalong April 14- May 11


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...