Thursday, August 16, 2012

Washi Time!

Yesterday my husband left the house to go meet up with coworkers for happy hour and I decided to use the time to finally cut into some of my DS Collection yardage to make myself a Washi dress.  Fast forward to 11:30 PM and I had made myself not one but two Washi dresses!!!

Washi Dress


The pattern is super easy to cut out (there are only 6 pieces) and Rae's instructions are so straightforward that even a beginner would have no problems mastering this pattern.

Front of Washi Dress

I was lucky in that I didn't have to make any alterations to the pattern.  I made mine in XL and it fit my bust perfectly.

Cut-out detail of Washi Dress

After making the dress in the DS Collection print I was so happy that I decided to cut into some Robert Kaufman "London Calling" cotton lawn that I bought to make a Tova top.  Luckily for me I had just the right amount of yardage.

Washi Dress

While the DS Collection print is heavier this one is light and breezy.  Perfect on a warm summer's day.
Back of Washi Dress
I can't wait to wear these out.

Detail of Pleating

One thing I would have changed while making these dresses is that I wish I had purchased a better elastic thread.  I just used the stuff I picked up at Joann's and I feel like it's not very strong.  It worked fine on the lighter lawn fabric but I feel like over time it might wear out with the heavier cotton fabric.  Oh well, I guess only time will tell.

Detail of Shirring

Oh, and I guess I did skip a step while making the pattern.  Rae says to use bias tape around the armholes to give it a finished look.  Instead I used my serger around the armhole and then folded it under and topstitched.  I doubt anyone will ever see the difference since it will only show under my arm.

I feel so inspired now!  I think I might have to make myself a few tunics with the pattern as well!

What about you?  What are you making right now?

3 comments:

  1. They look great! I'm very inspired to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was productive! I love your choice of fabrics, particularly the paisley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Nicely done! I made my first muslin last night and I need to make some adjustments so hopefully I can have another go at it tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...